If you’re mixing up your own batch of VG vs PG DIY E-Liquid then it is important to know the difference between Vegetable Glycerin vs Propylene Glycol as your e-juice base solution.
If you have a fancy high-end mod then let’s get started!
Determine Your DIY Needs
DIY has many advantages and is gaining more and more followers within the E-Cig community. But before jumping headfirst into the preparation, and running with the greatest flavor mixers in the world, it is imperative to determine its needs.
Determine your desires and expectations! The type of DIY E-Liquid base and portions used will change certain aspects of the vapor produced. So, it is important to know what you want.
So how do you know what you want? We are here to help you answer that question as well. First, let us explain these two different types of e-liquid base solutions.
DIY E-Liquid Base Ingredients
The quality of the two base solutions (VG and PG) proposed are identical. However, it is necessary to linger a few moments on the proportion of propylene glycol and vegetable glycerin in order to produce the perfect DIY E-Liquid flavor and consistency.
- Propylene Glycol (PG) – Use USP Grade solutions
- Vegetable Glycerin (VG) – Use USP Grade solutions
PG and VG are the two main components present in a DIY base and off-the-shelf E-Juice. Always present, of course, but not always in the same quantities. It is at this moment that one has to wonder if one wishes to have more vapor production, more flavor, or to have both…
The proportions that are used in e-liquid will contribute to:
- Vapor Production – The amount of physical cloud that you can visually see when exhaling.
- Flavor Profile – The strength of the flavor from the e-juice while using the same amount of flavor.
- Throat Hit – The feeling of light or harshness as the vapor is inhaled into the back of your throat.
Vegetable Glycerin vs Propylene Glycol
NOTE: There are many other factors that can affect the properties listed out above, but for the purpose of comparing these two e-liquid base solutions we will not involve them for the time being.
Vegetable Glycerin vs PG
A vaper who wishes to have very dense vapor clouds and which bears little interest in the throat hit will want to turn to a base mainly composed of glycerin vegetable. The VG has the particularity of being relatively thick and enhancing the production of vapor cloud size and density. The drawback is it will also tend to lessen the flavors and lighten the throat hit. If you see those as drawbacks, which some do not.
Vegetable Glycerin is a thicker e-liquid base so you also need to pay attention to the equipment you use. Some vaping equipment have small e-liquid feeding holes where the e-liquid must pass through in order to saturate the cotton wicks. When working with VG vs PG, larger syringes are needed because of VG’s thicker consistency.
In most cases, using a lot of vegetable glycerin means that you must utilize a rebuildable atomizer dripper (RDA) or a clearomizer equipped with large atomizer coils, having large e-liquid feeding valves. The SMOK TFV series of sub-ohm tanks is the perfect example.
More and more rebuildable atomizer designs are taking on larger e-liquid feeding channels to adjust for higher VG concentrated e-juices. This means that based on the thickness of your final e-liquid mixture, you will need to pack less or more cotton into those fill ports. Packing cotton doesn’t have an exact science, you will have to experiment with trial and error.
VG vs PG Overall:
- VG produces bigger, denser vapor clouds
- VG vs PG does not carry flavor as well as PG. Will lighten the e-liquid flavor profile.
- VG vs PG will lighten the throat hit.
Propylene Glycol vs VG
The fans of flavors and strong throat hits will have a tendency to move towards a base highly concentrated in propylene glycol. A large ratio of PG vs VG will strengthen the contraction of the larynx during the inhalation and offer a more solid feeling hit. But that’s not all, propylene glycol is also a great flavor driver. Thanks to VG, DIY e-liquid mixtures will have more taste, but the vapor production will be much less.
VG is thick and PG is on the other hand very liquid, or a thin e-liquid base. If you use too much PG you run the risk of leakage in your atomizer. If you like the amount of PG you’re using then you may need to consider packing your cotton a little tighter. If you just can’t get the leaking to stop then consider a Nautilus clearomizer or an atomizer that doesn’t tend to leak as easily.
PG vs VG Overall:
- PG vs VG – Produces better flavor because it carries e-liquid flavoring very well.
- PG vs VG- Doesn’t produce as much vapor as VG.
- PG – Will produce a harsher throat hit. A solid throat hit.
Proportions for DIY E-Liquid Base
Now you know a little more about DIY basics. So if you want a lot of vapor production, the VG will be your best ally. On the other hand, if you swear by the flavors and the hit, the PG is to be tested urgently! And you can easily guess that a base consisting of 50% PG and 50% VG will offer a consistent hit and vapor more than reasonable. The best of both worlds!
NOTE: The most common proportion of e-liquid used in DIY and Off the self e-liquids is 70VG/30PG
DIY E-Liquid Mixing Tips
If you’re looking to take the guesswork out of DIY e-juice mixing then try out some e-liquid-recipies, where many vapers have already figured out which proportions work best. Once you have a recipe you can begin mixing up a batch of fresh e-juice.
- Syringe – A 10 mL syringe is usually large enough for most e-juice mixing. If you are mixing a batch larger then 30mLs then you will want to pick up a second syringe of maybe 20-30mL capacity. This will make the task of measuring a little bit easier.
- Needles – Needles for your syringe. If you are going to use VG you will want at least a 14 gauge or larger needle. These work fine for PG and flavorings too although you may want to pick up an 18 gauge just to make it easier to measure thinner e-liquid ingredients.
- Flasks – These are optional. If you have a measuring tool that is enough, but flasks will make things much easier if you are mixing batches of e-juice larger than 100mL.
- Empty Bottles – You will most likely want some sort of container to keep your e-liquid in after you’re finished mixing. Bottles will keep that fresh batch of e-liquid nice and fresh for a while.
Do you have all the tools for making DIY? Okay! Let’s see what kind of ingredients we need now.
- Bottle of VG – It is recommended that you don’t use all of only one liquid. You could of course do this but you will either get a lot of flavor or a lot of clouds. With no in-between area.
- Bottle of PG – This is the agent that carries most of the flavor. The cloud effect mainly comes from the use of VG. However, if you decide to go a full PG blend you will get small amounts of vapor.
- Flavoring – If you have checked your recipe then you know exactly what flavorings and percentages you will need for your batch. If you have not found a great recipe yet, please check the link above included in this guild. There are many communities that share their e-liquid recipes along with the exact percentages need for a perfect and flavorful batch of e-juice.
- Nicotine Solution – This is totally optional. You do not have to use nicotine solutions. However, many vapers are choosing vaping as an alternative to combustible cigarettes. For how much nicotine solution you should use please check our other articles on e-juice and nicotine posted on the site.
That is really it! It might seem complicated but it is actually quite easy to make your own e-liquid. You don’t need a lot of equipment and all you need is 4 items for the recipes. However, if you want to make the best e-liquid then you will need to add in a few more different e-liquid flavorings. For example, if you want to make a strawberry shortcake then you would want a strawberry flavoring as well as a graham cracker crust.
We hope that this has been helpful. If you ever need any help, feel free to contact us with questions regarding PG vs VG.
The secret of DIY lies in the dosages of PG vs VG. Determine your needs, choose your favorite ingredients and, above all, have fun!